Saturday 22 October 2011

Zahara - An Artist Worth Making

It's been a while since my last post, I've just not been in a blogger state of mind. Apologies. I know it's a bit late, but I thought up this topic amidst the initial hype about Zahara (@ZaharaSA); I only finished it now and thought its still worth posting. Enjoy:


Finally, it would appear, South Africa has come to the party and made an artist. She goes by the name Zahara.
She's been making big waves on the local music scene and after listening to her debut album "Loliwe" I can understand why. So many of South Africa's "artists" get public attention for things other than their craft. Showing off their lady bits at a concert, being gold diggers, getting into public spats, etc.

Finally, someone with actual talent has come to the fore, and South Africans have done their bit to keep her at the party. Many a talented artist will tell you it takes more than just talent to become a star - people have to buy into what you do, they have to buy into your brand.

Luckily for Zahara, South Africans have done just that. Twitter and Facebook were abuzz with comments of her talent and bemoaning the fact that her album was sold out everywhere they went. South Africans fed the hype, and justifiably so.

I hope she takes a page from Artists such as Lira and Loyiso who've been in the SA music game for a while now and in spite of their success have kept hard work and appreciation for their fans at the heart of their craft. If she can do that, I have a feeling she will be around for a long, long time to come.

In my view, Zahara certainly was an artist worth making.

1 comment: