Thursday 8 December 2011

United we Fall

This is a piece from the heart…please, please show it some respect. I won’t say enjoy because I had no enjoyment in writing it:

Shattered. Absolutely shattered when I found out of Manchester United’s prematurely premature exit from the UEFA Champions League. Never mind her hand, this is like melting in the car!! On the way to meet her!! I’ll be honest, I didn’t stay up to watch the match because a.) I was tired and b.) Let’s all fess up as United supporters, their matches have been barely watchable since the matches leading up to that 6-1 drubbing at home to our blue neighbors. So, knowing that all we needed was a draw, and given that we’ve been playing draw-worthy football as of late I figured, eh, I’ll give the game a skip. I thought at best, I’d miss a narrow 1-0 victory, and at worst, a “thrilling” 3-3 draw.

I am in an emotionally fragile state as I write this piece, all I can ask is that all Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona and whatever other club’s supporters show the due respect to us at this time of mourning. We are at a loss. I ask this knowing full and well all the jokes which have been made at the expense of all other clubs about their mishaps along the years; but lest you forget, let me point out to you: this is the UEFA Champions League we’re talking about here.

Getting nailed in a Premier League match is embarrassing, but the season is long, one can recover from that. Being knocked out of the FA Cup by a non-league minnow is humbling, but that is part of the romance of the cup, that is what makes it great! Losing the Carling Cup quarter final because someone in the Top 4 decide to violate the gentleman’s agreement that we only field third teams up until the final, well, that’s just unfortunate, but that’s just the Carling Cup. The UEFA Champions League, however, is major. This is where the elite, the royalty of European football come to be watched by the millions around the world. Imagine Monaco without that French prince dude. Imagine the Oscars without Denzel. Imagine the Champions league…without…*chokes up*…Manchester United!! Some of the brilliance that happens on this stage would have you believing that the very gods of football themselves descend upon the stadium rooftops for a front row view of the matches.

So again, I ask, my fellow footballing brethren: let us mourn our loss in peace…let us lick our wounds in the cold darkness…of…the Europa…*wipes tear that’s slowly made it’s way to his chin while typing this*…League.

No comments:

Post a Comment