Friday 25 November 2011

You Should've Told Me

This is a deep issue for a Friday. So if you wanna not have deep stuff on your mind over the weekend, save it for next week sometime. The University of Cape Town has had a spate of suicides and attempted suicides in the past 2-3 years, sparked by heaven knows what. It brought back memories of when one of my classmates/friend committed suicide in high school and we were all left asking why. I tried writing this from a friend/family member’s perspective, but for me I think it sums up the immediate string of thoughts one has after learning of a suicide. Let me know what you think:

You never talked to me…I wish you had
You should’ve told me you were sad
That everything was going bad, and
That you felt like your world was crumbling all around you
That it was all falling apart and you didn’t know what to do
I probably wouldn’t have known either, truth be told
But that’s what friends are for
That’s what family’s for
To walk with you through the drama
Help deal with all the trauma
And the heartache, and the stress
And the pain that leaves you so depressed
It debilitates you, takes away your will to live
I wish I knew what made you do it
Maybe I could have helped you through it
Been the reason in the irrationality of the moment
I…I actually have no more words, except
I wish you would’ve talked to me.



*Suicide Crisis Line: 0800 567 567*

No comments:

Post a Comment