Wednesday 25 January 2012

DASO Perverts

Limpopo corruption piece still in progress. For today though, I write about the DASO poster "scandal". Enjoy:

I'll start by saying this: if you were offended by the DA Student Organisation poster, which shows a "naked" couple embracing, then you're an idiot.

The poster depicts a black woman embracing a white gentleman. They both appear to be topless in the shot. Because of this, all the ignorant perverts have decided to crawl out of the woodwork making statements like "the DA is promoting promiscuity" and "does the DA think the struggle was just about cross-race dating?!".

The tag line for the poster states: "In OUR future, you wouldn't look twice". As I generally do, let me break this poster and the ignorance of the idiots who made the above statements down.

The aim of the poster, as unoriginal and cheesy as it may be, is to get people talking about race and I suppose to become more comfortable with people who may not share their skin color. The first objective has clearly been achieved, and as for the latter, well, as long as people see sex in a poster about race then...

As a starting point, a dictionary definition of promiscuity is "indulging in promiscuous (casual and indiscriminate) sexual relations". Let me point something out here, if you take a closer look at that poster you'll notice that you can't see wedding rings on either of the models hands, not because they're not there, but because YOU CAN'T SEE THIER RING FINGERS. Erego, how do you draw the conclusion that they are being promiscuous? I doubt I need to make the point that the same people screaming promiscuity are probably the same ones walking around donning thier "Kill for Zuma" tees.

As for the comment about the struggle not having been about cross-race sex/dating, I'll say this, people fought for thier rights. This INCLUDED the right to date whomever you wanted. Maybe DASO should've had a photo of a super wealthy black guy in front of huge mansion with a huge assortment of luxury German sedans parked outside with the tagline "In OUR future, you wouldn't have to investigate"...

6 comments:

  1. Hi Katekani

    What baffles me about the poster, is what is the logic behind it? Like you said we have already passed the racial lines in terms of dating.

    Thanx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my view, the poster was about racism, not dating. As long as people are talking about "I won't vote for the DA because they'll bring back apartheid" I think this poster is still relevant.

      Delete
  2. The promiscuity view I also find idiotic. The view I tend to agree with though is that this promulgates a racial stereotype. The white man and the black woman. Why could they not put a black man with a white woman?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they had had a black man and a white woman, the question would be "why didn't they have a white man and a black woman."

    There are more important things in life (spending time with family, friends, and your significant other, money, career, education etc.) than a poster with a message. I'm not saying disregard it. I'm saying, give it a minute or two's thought and move on with your life. Some things are just not worth over-analyzing (actually, as it's OVER-analyzing, nothing would be worth doing it).

    ReplyDelete
  4. An objective piece I might add.........

    ReplyDelete